A Kenyan security guard who reportedly fell while on duty at Qatar’s Lusail Stadium has died in hospital, his family and officials have confirmed to CNN.
His employer notified the family of the migrant worker on Saturday, John Njue Kibue, 24, who fell from the eighth floor of the stadium while on duty, his sister Ann Wanjiru said.
“We don’t have the money to get justice for him, but we want to know what happened,” she told CNN.
A medical certificate obtained by CNN showed he was being treated in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Hamad General Hospital in Doha. The document said Njue had “serious head injuries, facial fractures and pelvic fractures”.
In a statement, the organizers of the World Cup – the Supreme Council of Delivery and Legacy – announced Kibue’s death.
“We regret to announce that despite the efforts of his medical team, he tragically passed away in hospital on Tuesday, December 13 after spending three days in intensive care,” the statement added.
“His next of kin have been informed. Our sincere condolences go out to his family, colleagues and friends during this difficult time.”
Earlier this week, the committee announced that Kibue suffered a serious fall in the line of duty.
“The event organizers in Qatar are urgently investigating the circumstances that led to the fall and will provide further information pending the outcome of the investigation,” it said in a statement.
“We will also ensure that his family receives all monies owed and owed.”
He has been unconscious since Saturday and connected to a machine to help him breathe, his medical records show. A family member was notified of his death on Monday morning.
But the security guard’s family said his Qatari employer, Al Sraiya Security Services, had not explained how he fell or any of the circumstances surrounding his death.
“We want justice. We want to know what caused his death. They never sent us a photo to show where he fell from, or any other information,” his sister Wanjiru told CNN.
CNN reached out to Al Sraiya Security Services for comment following the guard’s death but has yet to hear back.
In a statement to CNN, the Kenyan embassy in Qatar said it was aware of the matter and was “providing the necessary consular assistance while awaiting formal communication from the Supreme Council of Qatar and the competent authorities.”
The guard’s family said he moved to Qatar last November to sign a contract with Al Sraiya Security Services.
A WhatsApp message seen by CNN was sent to his colleagues at other World Cup stadiums soliciting donations.
“He came here to support his family, but unfortunately his dreams were shattered today,” reads partly. “Let’s do something for our dear comrades.”
He was the second migrant worker to report his death since the tournament began in the Gulf nation, after another was reported to have died in an accident at a resort used in Saudi Arabia during the group stage.