LAS VEGAS — Errol Spence Jr. revealed Saturday night that injuries sustained in his latest crash will delay his return to racing.
While Spence suffered nowhere near as much damage in the Dec. 10 head-on collision as he did in a car crash in October 2019, the undefeated IBF/WBA/WBC welterweight champion is taking the In an interview with Showtime’s Brian, Custer said he was injured badly and needed to rest before training. Spence told Custer that he had expected to announce his next fight, presumably against rival Keith Thurman, days after his SUV crashed head-on in the Dallas area.
“I would probably make a combat announcement three or four days after the accident,” Spencer said. “But, you know, stuff started hurting and stuff, so we kind of put it off [will] awaiting notice. “
Castor conducted the interview during the Showtime telecast from the Chelsea Hotel inside the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas. Undefeated lightweight contender Frank Martin, promoted by Spence & Co., won the main event by a 12-round unanimous decision over previously undefeated contender Michelle Rivera.
The 32-year-old Spence’s injury is so serious that Spence may not play at least two months later than expected. Spence (28-0, 22 knockouts) most recently defeated Yordenis Ugas in a 10th-round technical knockout on April 16 and was expected to fight sometime in February before his accident.
“Probably around May or June — May or June, April, May or June,” said Spencer, who gave no specific details about his injury. “I just need to, you know, talk to my team, you know. Hopefully, you know, I’m going to be 100 percent. I’m sure I’m going to be 100 percent because I’ve been through much worse accidents. I’ve had Had a worse accident. But, you know, talking to my team, you know, hopefully finding a day that works for both of us and making it happen.”
Spence suffered cuts and abrasions to his face and body and a broken tooth when his Ferrari flipped multiple times in downtown Dallas three years ago. Spence was ejected from the car in that accident, but he managed to revive his career and convincingly beat his former rival when he returned to action at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, in December 2020. Two-level champion Danny Garcia.
Spence, of DeSoto, Texas, pleaded guilty to DUI in the aforementioned crash six months ago. His driver’s license was suspended and he was sentenced to three days in jail, but Spence was rewarded for time served.
Spencer’s career was interrupted again in August 2021 when he was forced out of a pay-per-view fight with Manny Pacquiao due to a torn left retina. Spencer withdrew from the fight against Pacquiao just 11 days before the scheduled bout at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
While thankful that he survived the second crash relatively unscathed, Spence couldn’t help but question his luck in an interview with Custer.
“I can’t win by losing,” Spencer said. “But, I mean, I’m doing fine, man. You know, it’s very unfortunate that a 14-year-old kid, you know, steals his parents’ car, and then, you know, everybody on the road He ran into me. So, you know, it was very unfortunate. You know, but I survived, you know, I’m doing fine, man. You know, a few bruises and stuff like that .”
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.