Were you seriously injured in a car accident in Kansas City, Missouri? You are not alone. Kansas City is Missouri’s largest city with a population of over 500,000, so it’s no surprise that the area also has the highest auto accident rate in the state.
The following crash data for Kansas City explains why car crashes occur so frequently in the city. Thanks to the Missouri Highway Patrol, Missouri Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and the Kansas City Police Department, these numbers help drivers on our roads stay vigilant.
After an accident, you shouldn’t be required to fight your insurance company’s adjuster for proper reimbursement. Unfortunately, many accident victims find themselves in this situation. You need a Kansas City car accident attorney to act in your best interest and fight for the compensation you need.
Here’s how Peterson & Associates, PC works:
- Provide reliable legal counsel
- Manage communications and administrative duties
- Conduct an investigation to gather evidence and identify the culprit.
- Accurately assess all your losses
- Hire experts as needed to provide expert testimony proving causation and damages.
- Negotiate a reasonable solution on your behalf.
- If your case goes to trial, make a persuasive argument to the jury.
Don’t let an insurance company downplay your claim or unfairly blame you. Our Kansas City law firm can provide you with the legal assistance you need. Contact Peterson & Associates, PC today for a free evaluation of your case by a dedicated Kansas City car accident attorney who is dedicated to helping you.
Kansas City Accident Statistics
Kansas City Police have identified a number of accident hotspots, from I-435 to I-470 and beyond. In fact, officials said there were more than 157,000 in Missouri in the most recent year. These incidents killed 881 people and injured more than 55,000.
Unfortunately, Kansas City has more car accidents than any other city in Missouri. In 2019, nearly 20,500 crashes killed 79 people and injured more than 8,700.
fatal accident in kansas city
Additionally, in 2019, there were 75 fatal crashes in Kansas City and 5,830 crashes that resulted in injuries. Fourteen were related to pedestrians, eight were commercial vehicles and 12 were motorcycles. A total of 79 people were killed in these accidents.
Despite the COVID-19 outbreak, road deaths in Missouri increased 12 percent in 2020. 126 pedestrians were killed in 2020, a record high.
In May 2021, Kansas City police recorded an increase in collisions but a decrease in fatalities. In the first five months of 2021, there were 5,778 crashes in Kansas City, but only 22 people were killed.
How Frequent Are Truck Crashes in Kansas City?
About 4 percent of cars on the road are trucks, yet they account for 14 percent of fatal crashes. When a semi-truck collision results in death or serious injury, the victims are usually passengers in regular sedans or other types of passenger vehicles.
Between 2016 and 2018, there were more than 80 truck accidents in Kansas City, resulting in more than 100 serious injuries and approximately 30 fatalities.
Distracted Driving in Kansas City
Distracted driving is the most common and deadly cause of major accidents today. In 2018, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) stated that distracted driving caused more than 2,800 deaths and 400,000 injuries in the United States.
The Missouri Road Safety Alliance claims a 30 percent increase in distracted driving and cell phone-related accidents. Between 2016 and 2020, 400 people were killed by distracted driving in Missouri. Sixteen of the incidents occurred in Jackson County, which includes Kansas City.
Common Causes of Accidents in Kansas City
The Kansas City Regional Traffic Safety Blueprint provides a comprehensive analysis of traffic accidents from 2013 to 2017.
Many factors contribute to most collisions. According to the survey, the most common are:
- Seventy percent of all accidents involved lane departures, resulting in 725 fatalities and 3,547 serious injuries.
- 51% of accidents involved collisions with fixed objects, resulting in 534 fatalities and 2,763 serious injuries
- 41% of accidents involving unrestrained passengers resulted in 435 fatalities and 2,435 serious injuries.
- 41% of aggressive driving crashes resulted in 431 fatalities and 1,828 serious injuries.
- Thirty-three percent of crashes involved a teenage driver, resulting in 345 fatalities and 3,114 serious injuries.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or alcohol accounted for 31 percent of accidents, resulting in 321 fatalities and 1,500 serious injuries.
- 23% of accidents involved level bends, resulting in 246 fatalities and 1,384 serious injuries.
- 21% of accidents occurred at intersections, resulting in 220 fatalities and 524 serious injuries.
- Driving without a license accounted for 21 percent of crashes, resulting in 216 fatalities and 1,137 serious injuries.
- Distracted driving accounted for 16 percent of crashes, resulting in 163 deaths and 1,010 serious injuries.
This research reveals the causes of most accidents and important variables associated with increased injuries and fatalities.
drunk driving accident
Unfortunately, DUI accidents are very common in Missouri, especially in Kansas City. DUI accounted for about 31 percent of crashes in Kansas City from 2013 to 2017. In 2019, the Missouri Highway Patrol recorded 822 crashes in Jackson County involving drug or drunk driving. This included 442 incidents of minor property damage, 372 incidents of injury and 8 fatalities.
For all of 2019, those DUI incidents left 361 injured and seven killed in Kansas City, authorities said.
Contact Kansas City Auto Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in a Kansas City car accident, you should contact a Kansas City car accident attorney immediately. At Peterson & Associates, PC, our attorneys have years of expertise in assisting Kansas City car accident victims obtain fair compensation. We’ll review the facts of your case and help you determine the best course of action, whether it’s a settlement or a trial.
Car crashes are usually traumatic. If you were injured in a Kansas City car accident, you need an attorney who is familiar with the complex Missouri legal system and can assist you in obtaining the compensation you deserve.
Peterson & Associates, PC is a Kansas City personal injury law firm with years of expertise managing personal injury litigation. We understand what it takes to win your case. Our attorneys have years of experience working with insurance companies and know how to achieve the best outcome for your case. Don’t hesitate to contact us today; we will work hard to ensure you and your family receive justice and the fair and adequate compensation to which you are entitled.
Call (816) 888-8888 to speak with a Kansas City car accident attorney at our personal injury law firm. Once you’ve got in touch with our team, we’ll arrange a free consultation to thoroughly assess your case and discuss the legal alternatives available to you.