MIRI (Dec 17): The Miri City Council (MCC) has issued a stop-work order to contractors carrying out pipeline laying works at Jalan Bulatan following a recent accident involving at least three motorists.
Mayor Adam Yii was told borneo post The order was issued to the contractor following an initial investigation by the MCC and the state industry, occupational safety and health authority.
“The contractor has been ordered to stop work and pay compensation to the victims,” Yii said, adding that an emergency meeting on road safety and related issues had been held after the accident.
There are no warning lights or insufficient lighting along the construction site, and there are no warning signs, and the public sees red.
In the latest incident, a motorcyclist was thrown from his vehicle and fell into an excavated trench at around 9pm on Thursday near Taman Bulatan, according to reports. Set warning lights Pisso Satou.
The third victim of Kampung Lereng Bukit sustained injuries and was taken to Miri Hospital by ambulance.
Earlier, a second victim also jumped into the two-metre trench, but this time with his motorcycle. He was rushed to Miri Hospital by ambulance.
Meanwhile, the first victim sustained minor injuries and managed to cycle home.
Responding to complaints and concerns raised by the public against the Public Works Department (JKR), Miri Departmental Engineer Stephen Ng clarified that the scope involved was not within the department’s commitment but within the scope of the council.