Moore County without power
Thousands of people in Moore County, North Carolina, were without power after a substation was damaged. Here’s the latest from The News & Observer.
Moore County has been without power since Saturday night, suspected to be caused by vandalism, leading to accidents and emergencies in the area.
The damage occurred at the county’s substation, prompting law enforcement officers to accompany crews dispatched to make repairs Saturday night. Southern Pines Deputy Mayor and Fire Chief Mike Cameron told the News and Observer on Sunday that two substations were damaged by the gunfire.
Duke Energy spokesman Jeff Brooks said Sunday that power may not be restored until Thursday, the News & Observer reported.
“We’re looking at some fairly complex repairs to some pretty large pieces of equipment, so we do want the public to be prepared, it’s going to be a multi-day repair for most customers, possibly extending into Thursday,” he said. Say.
Protesters gathered outside the Sunrise Theater in downtown South Pines early Saturday, outraged by a drag show planned for Saturday night at the small venue.
Here is a summary of what we have learned about the emergency caused by the destruction of the substation:
▪ FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital Switched to generator power Saturday night.
“The Moore campus relies on backup generators to operate safely and we have had no issues or concerns,” said spokeswoman Gretchen Kelly.
Kelly said the hospital has enough fuel on hand to power generators for several days and plans to get more if needed. Kelly said the outage did not affect patients.
▪ car accident: Cameron told The N&O that the power outage had led to multiple crashes, including a four-vehicle crash at the intersection in South Pines when stop lights went dark. Four people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries in the crash at the intersection of Morganton Road and US 15-501 in Southern Pines.
▪ Traffic lights that don’t work: A Facebook post from Southern Pines Fire & Rescue noted that there were no working traffic lights. NCDOT has since been posting temporary stop signs to help navigate traffic, Cameron said.
▪ Emergency services: Cameron said firefighters were busy responding to residents’ concerns about how the outage would affect vital medical equipment, while police responded to alarms and reports of burglaries.
Fire, police, water and sewer services were all running on generators, he said.
▪ Cold weather, no heat: Temperatures in the Southern Pines are in the low 40s Saturday night into Sunday morning, with below-freezing forecast for Sunday night into Monday morning. (See below for tips on staying safe when you’re without power and need to keep warm.)
▪ School closures: All Moore County schools will be closed Monday due to the power outage. A status update on Tuesday is expected Monday night.
▪ Lost business income: The outage comes at an unfortunate time for businesses in Southern Pines and neighboring Pinehurst, both of which have local stores and draw thousands of out-of-town shoppers for the holidays.
On November 26, Southern Pines held its annual tree lighting event at the downtown train station, during which Santa arrived on a firetruck and posed for photos with the children. Throughout the season, Christmas trees adorn the sidewalks along Broad Street, home to clothing and gift boutiques, restaurants, coffee shops, a bookstore and the Sunrise Theatre.
Calls to businesses that are normally open on Sunday were not able to go through.
In the village of Pinehurst, Tufts Memorial Park’s annual Christmas tree lighting took place Friday night, with local restaurants selling food and drinks and shops staying open late. A grocery store offered free cookies and icing so people could decorate their own, and a trolley picked people up from community centers to reduce traffic problems. The village’s historic hotels are adorned with garlands and red ribbons.
Helping the People of Moore County
▪ charging station: The Southern Pines Police Department has opened its C. Michael Haney Community Room to the public for charging electronic devices. Where: 450 W. Pennsylvania Ave., Southern Pines.
▪ emergency shelter The Moore County Sportsplex is expected to open at 4 p.m. Sunday, according to The Pilot newspaper. It is located off NC 22 and US 15-501 in Carthage.
Anyone with information about the vandalism is asked to contact the Moore County Sheriff’s Office at 910-947-2931.
Tips for Winter Power and Heat Outages
If you lose power, keep these tips in mind:
▪ if you have a dynamo, no way run in your home or garage. Carbon monoxide fumes can build up and become deadly.
▪ you should too no way use one Charcoal grill or camping stove in, for cooking or heating. Like generators, the fumes they produce can be toxic.
▪ if you odor gas At any time during a power outage or other situation, leave your home immediately and call your utility provider.
▪ During a power outage, don’t open Refrigerator or freezer unless absolutely necessary. Cold air can escape, causing food to thaw and spoil faster.
if you have a battery powered radio (and battery), use it to get emergency alerts in case of a power outage.
flashlight Also key so that you have a light source during a power outage.
If you get lost, the National Weather Service recommends the following safety tips hot:
▪ close the room You don’t use it to avoid wasting heat.
▪ stuffed towel or rag In the crack under the door.
▪ close blinds or curtains Keep some heat on your windows.
▪ eat and drink. Food provides the body with energy to generate its own heat. Drink plenty of water and other caffeine-free, non-alcoholic beverages to prevent dehydration. The cold air is very dry.
▪ wear layer Loose, lightweight, warm clothing. Remove clothing to avoid overheating, sweating, and subsequent cold.
During a Winter Storm: Kerosene and Space Heater Safety
If your power or heat goes out in cold weather, you can use Kerosene heater – Usually does not require electricity to run – while providing heat.
But these heaters have safety hazards, including the possibility of Fire Hazard, Toxic Fumes with burnit is important to handle them with caution.
Remember these tips from the Insurance Information Institute:
▪ You can do this by strictly adhering to manufacturer’s recommendations your specific heater. Check the package or the manual that came with the heater for more information.
▪ an examination fuel meter Turn off your heater regularly. Most well-designed kerosene heaters don’t emit a strong odor, but they do emit a faint odor that is especially noticeable when you enter the house. A strong smell may indicate that the heater is out of fuel, so check the fluid level periodically.
▪ make sure you have adequate ventilation Open doors or windows to let fresh air in and out of your home at least one inch. Kerosene heaters give off toxic fumes including carbon monoxide, allowing fresh air in will reduce the risk of suffocation.
▪ you should always keep an eye on your heater when you use it. That means it’s best to turn it off while you’re sleeping.
▪ If you spill any kerosene, Clean it up immediately. Fuel is a fire hazard.
▪ Keep heater away from furniture, bedding, clothing, drapes, paper and other flammable materials.
▪ Remember that touching any part of the heater above an open flame may cause severe burns。 Keep babies, toddlers, toddlers and pets away from heater.
▪ Never refuel your kerosene heater inor while it’s still hot. Wait for it to cool down first.
Many of these tips also apply to portable space heater.
The National Fire Protection Association offers the following additional tips for portable space heaters:
▪ Keep heater at least 3 feet away from anything that might burn, including people.
▪ Place the heater on a firm, flat surface.
▪ Make sure your heater has an automatic shutoff feature that turns off the heater if it is tipped over.
▪ Never plug the outlet with a space heater.
▪ Plug the heater directly into a wall outlet. Never use extension cords.
▪ Turn off the heater and unplug it when you leave the room or go to sleep.
This story was originally published on December 4, 2022 at 1:22 pm.